Sunday, May 5, 2013

The future awaits us

As the semester comes to an end, I see more and more students on their laptops in class. When I say on their laptops, I mean searching facebook, twitter and all other social network feeds. In the beginning of this semester I was all about how technology could be used in classroom and how it enhances classrooms. Lately I have been against technology in classroom. I think what I am starting to realize is that it works when the teacher has control over it. Students in younger grade are more likely to respect the teachers and do what they say. College students are more in the mindset that they can multitask, even though most of us can't. I used to say I was a great student, like many others. Come time for college I know say I am an okay student. Yea I do my work and hand it in on time and I go to class, but paying attention is definitely my weak point. I know I paid attention in high school because I didn't have a phone and I was thankful for that. Now I wonder if students in high school are paying attention to their teachers.
I was reading an article that was talking about making technology work and using it to your advantage but as of lately I think it works better to get students up and active. If they are active they do not have the time to dose off or get bored in and search a twitter feed or text the person in the next class over under their desks trying to be sneaky. Technology is only increasing and getting better, what will we as teachers see our students using in a year or two from now? Will we be getting them up and active or will we be trying to feed their need to be engaged on the computer and with technology. The future awaits us my fellow education majors, hope you're prepared!

2 comments:

  1. I notice the change too! Many more students are bringing their laptops to class because professors are wrapping up the course material. However, I do agree with your statement: "I think what I am starting to realize is that it works when the teacher has control over it." Although technology in the classroom can be a problem in regards to students' attention (or lack of), a teacher needs to have full control in what digital tool is to be used in the classroom. One idea I have is to increase participation grade (by a fraction) or even remind students how important it is to participate in class because it will affect their grade. That's just a possibility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle, I know exactly what you mean. It is difficult to pay attention in class with our smartphones and laptops. Before I had my iPhone, I definitely was less distracted and could focus more attention to the class. Now that I have the internet on my phone, I find myself checking Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, etc.. when the class gets boring. I sometimes catch myself and think about the teacher and how he/she may feel. I think about when I will be teaching and what I would want my students to do. I would most definitely not want them distracted on their phones or laptops. It's most important to keep the class occupied by creating more interesting lesson plans where the students do not get bored. It is up to us, the the teachers to make this happen effectively in order for our students to attain the best education possible.

    ReplyDelete