Saturday, May 4, 2013

... College students - Professional's at using Fluff

As I sit here doing 5 billions things for finals, I stopped to think about what I am doing. Is writing a 10 page paper about my experiences during fieldwork really going to prove to anyone that I learned something? Is a paper of a child I "interviewed" really going to say that I know my audience when I go into teaching. There's a common saying among college students "College didn't teach me how to write paper but rather how to "fake" papers." We simply add a little fluff and act like we know what we are talking about. Granted we may know that material, but making us write a paper, that most teachers do not want to read seems crazy to me. This is the part where I tell you  I am the worst English major ever. I can not stand reading over my papers, I cant spell for the life of me and the first thing I do for fun is not pick up a book, crazy I know.
So again, as I sit here writing papers, I think about how I am going to make classroom fun and not just another English classroom where my students have to write papers. Technology offers so many things. As I was going the final project for this class, I found an amazing website to make madlibs. Now this may not be excited for everyone, but I can tell you that I have just as much fun filling in the blanks as I used to.
I look back on my last three years here so far, honestly, I might remember one or two papers I wrote and what I got on them. Having finished my psychology minor two semesters ago, I could not tell you one thing that I wrote in those papers that's for sure.  Simply what I am saying is that I question whether or not writing papers is the way to do it any more. We have so many resource at our hands but a lot of classrooms continue to go back to the old routine of writing papers so show that the students know the material, but do they know that material? We all know that the internet can tell students exactly what they need to know, and if they are clever enough they can reword the information to skip over the thought of plagiarism. I think that as we go into this field we should be looking at ways to make technology prevalent because that is where the world is going to continue to head and we need to prepare our students to encounter creating presentations rather than always writing paper.
I will back myself up here and agree that papers are need on occasion and for specific reasons but I think that the "write a 5 page paper" assignment is getting old, and students are getting smarter at getting around taking the time to write it and prove that they know something.

No comments:

Post a Comment