Saturday, May 4, 2013

Should we stop waisting trees?....


Through this semester I have seen many different way of creating assessments. I have seen my cooperating teacher sit down at the computer over and over tweaking tests for the incoming classes. She always labeled a few with an M for those students had an IEP saying that they needed modified testing. As of recently within my fieldwork I have heard of doing all standardized testing on computers. Teachers spend so much time working on their tests and creating tests that work it seems that they have finally created a standardized test online that may work. I have different opinions on standardized testing, but are all of our testing going to move towards online? I see this hard to do within a middle school and high school setting because not many of them can afford a laptop for every student at once and that is the problem they are facing at the school where I do my fieldwork. Taking a test online offers but so many problems. I can attest for the sleepiness of looking at a computer. I took my praxis at 11 in the afternoon, fully awake and able to pay attention after 8 hours of sleep. After completing a half hour of the test my eyes began slowly shutting. Working on a computer in general makes people sleepy, taking a test can’t be proven any more awakening. I see something wrong with testing on a computer. When I was younger we always were told to go play outside. We were only allowed to be on the computer for homework (which took all of 20 minutes) and all of 15 minutes other than that to play a game if we were lucky. Students now are always on the computer doing work and when they are not doing work parents let them spend time on the computer long than being outside. All in all what I am trying to say is that maybe technology is going too far. It seems like they are trying to make things easier and more convenient but rather they are just getting students addicted and dependent on technology and computers.

No comments:

Post a Comment