Monday, March 4, 2013

Technology in the 1900's to Today



Technology is something that is progressive over time. We did not miraculously have smart boards in classrooms because someone snapped their fingers but because people worked to figure out this technology for years and years. Technologies advancements are unbelievable but in order to understand them we have to look back to the 1900's.
In the world of English we are lucky enough not to bother so much with technology. We love our books, both hard and soft covered and we enjoy writing with pen and paper. Looking back at the YouTube video I realize that English classes can be compared to the 1900's and the idea that pen and paper were their means of writing and communication. Throughout the video I saw a lot of children with pens and paper on their desk ready to write notes and understand material. This was one of the greatest influences throughout history of a form of technology.  The one thing that I noticed and was intrigued by was the television with the words on the screen in order to teach vocabulary. This allowed the students to hear the words but it also took away the need for a teacher. I am not sure that these videos taught much nor entirely caught the children's attention. Also the idea of the teaching machine, I am sure that it was great for English and seeing words and knowing how to spell them but again it takes away the need for a teacher.
In my world of English, I 100% think that the greatest piece of technology and will always stand as the greatest is the use of pen and paper. It allows for expression of oneself and also allows for the teacher to be needed and to have a purpose.I would rather have my students using books and paper and pens rather than looking up the spark-notes in today's world of technology. Students need to learn the material and understand it before they go searching for alternative ways to get around learning the material.
Full understanding from reading a book or
summarized understanding via a screen?
The online article "A Social History of Media, Technology and Schooling" by Vanessa Domine opens up the idea of whether students got anything out of the educational videos. In today's world I wonder if students get anything out of looking at a computer screen. The article worries about the amount of information the students were getting from the educational videos and if they were truly learning anything. As a student, I found it much easier to memorize and learn when I had to write things with pen and paper. The action of writing has been proven to make a difference in retention of information.
The problems lies here, in Chapter two of "Rethinking Technology in Schools". On page 32 of the text it states "The fact that textbooks are generally costly to produce has created a chronic need among school teachers for more affordable means of instruction". Real books and the money for such resources are lacking therefore some teachers these days are going to more video based and online instruction. Within the text it also discusses the "information superhighway" that students and teachers alike must prepare for in the world of the 21st century. As we progress with technology it becomes more difficult and this is why I hold onto the pen, paper, and book idea because it is something that can never change.
My argument unfortunately goes back and forth. Back in the 1900's paper and pencil was used and used successfully as it is today. Both in the 1900's and today books were used when they were available to the teacher. Instructional video still has its skeptics on whether it is effective or not but was used for some time in the 1900's and with the invention of YouTube it has become a very common thing to see within  classrooms of today.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that a pen and paper is what help students grow the most. Especially when writing creatively, this can be done in many subjects. For me personally, I learn best when taking notes especially while I am reading. I believe that in history classes using creative writing helps keeps students engaged in the material. I think that the internet gives students the opportunity to find a plethora of information. For history, this helps students write comprehensive research papers. The problem is however, are they learning as much from looking at the screen? I agree that the internet gives students a shortcut in many assignments. Are they reading all the information or just picking out what they need? I think a book is the best way to find the information you need and there are no shortcuts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle, I think it's great you have such a strong opinion about "pen and paper" versus modern technology. The pen and paper are definitely a huge advancement that have been around for quite a while. We couldn't imagine life without them! In the classroom, it is necessary for students to write down their thoughts so to get it familiar with the information and get it in their fingers. The brain uses the writing time to process the words on paper and it is easier for the students to remember. However, don't you think the internet saves time for students? It is very efficient and fast that students can find out loads of information in minutes. Books are super costly, and to have countless sources available at one's fingertips is a huge advantage. I think there are definitely pros and cons to the internet and it is difficult to choose one over the other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also prefer books over a screen because I enjoy making notes in the margins and writing while I read. On the other hand, now you can highlight and make notes on PDF articles or Word Documents for example. While I agree that writing things down helps you retain the information, taking notes on a computer is just as effective. Now I use a hybrid form of note taking. During class I write notes in my notebook, but while studying for a test I type my notes to help me focus on the main points and as another way to make sure I remember the information. Notes tend to be messy and I will end up having information about a certain topic in multiple places in my notebook, but when I later type my notes I can put all the information under the topic instead of flipping through pages of my notebook.

    ReplyDelete